Becky moved to Haiti Tuesday, July 30, 2013.
Sandy moved to Clay County, TN, July 2009.
Even though I have a head start in my teaching career over Becky, every year is completely different, and feels like I'm starting over. In the five years I have been a teacher, there have not been two years with the same responsibilities. Every year the grades I teach change, or possibly even the schools or subjects. As a music teacher, I learned from the beginning that I would need to fly by the seat of my pants and be willing to jump off of cliffs to accomplish my job.
This year I am the only music teacher for this school system, as opposed to having two teachers county-wide the years past. I have been told I will be teaching Pre-K through 4th grades at two elementary schools, and choir, band, and music history at the high school. I also direct the elementary choirs at both elementaries, and will be trying to figure out when to meet the beginning bands at those schools. As if that wasn't enough on my plate, I am the teacher sponsor for the PYLI and SADD clubs at the high school. I also teach private music lessons at my home, and teach Sunday school and a class on Wednesday nights at church.
But I'm sure that's nothing compared to Haiti...
I chatted with Becky a little while ago, and she had found three of the four teacher manuals for her classes. She was also sorting through books, old tests, homework, and quizzes trying to decide what to use. She still doesn't have a phone, but thankfully Internet was finally set up yesterday afternoon. I think school starts for her next week.
Many of us wanted her to write a blog about this journey, but Becky isn't one to share freely. I told her I would write one if she didn't, but when I got the idea of making one together, I had to do it. Some posts will be written by her, some by me, and some together.
Separated by miles, time zones, continents, languages, and cultures...we definitely will be teaching worlds apart...






















No comments:
Post a Comment