Sandy is determined that I'm going to do this blog thing so here it goes...
While Sandy is teaching music in TN, I'll be teaching calculus, pre-calculus, physics, and chemistry at a private Christian school in Haiti. We are definitely teaching worlds apart.
I arrived in Haiti on Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday, I was able to find the books I'll be using and was finally able to start reviewing. I'm still trying to come up with a game plan. I've been working as a med tech for the last 8 years. I haven't had a math or physics class since high school (15 years ago) and I haven't done chemistry since college so I have a lot of reviewing to do myself before I can teach these subjects. This will be my first teaching experience so ALL of this is new and just adds spice to the adventure. The first day of school is Aug. 12th. I have a little over a week to figure everything out. I was given the books, but the rest of this teaching thing is basically up to me. I need to decide what exactly I want to teach in each subject and come up with a rough draft for the year so that I can make a syllabus. I also need to start working on lesson plans, labs, figure out a grading system, etc. The books we're using are 10-15 years old, but I'm extremely grateful that we have books. Lab supplies are ancient and limited, but I'm thankful we have supplies (I'm a little scared to even touch some of those chemicals in the cabinet!!). Yesterday, I found a drawer full of old tests, worksheets, quizzes, etc. They are almost as old as the books, but it was helpful to see what was covered in the past. I have an incredible amount of work ahead of me, but I've always enjoyed a good challenge (did I mention I'll also be moving this weekend and trying to get settled into a new house?). Next week, we have teacher orientation, meetings, work days, etc. Obviously, I need to get off the computer and get to work!!!
The school campus is so nice and almost 1st world. It's easy to forget that outside these gates is the hard, messy Haiti that I fell in love with...


No comments:
Post a Comment