Wednesday, September 18, 2013

a peek into my week

You would think when you move to a 3rd world country, life would slow down a little, but it's just become a different kind of busy. Sooooo many things here are soooooo different that some days it's hard to believe we're even living in the same world, but at the same time, so much of life remains the same. Yesterday marked 7 weeks in Haiti, and for the most part, things have settled into a 'normal' routine.

Monday mornings start with a devotional at 7:15 am, followed by staff meetings. For students, classes start at 9:00 am on Mondays (school starts at 8:00 am the rest of the week). High school students have a total of 7 classes which are 55 minutes long, and they have a full hour for lunch. Each class only meets 4 days a week and some classes meet at a different time each of those 4 days (physics is at 2:00 on Monday, 1:00 on Tuesday, 9:00 on Thursday, and 10:00 on Friday). I teach all 4 of my classes on Monday and Friday, 3 classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and only 2 classes on Wednesday. I know it it sounds like I should have LOTS of free time, but I've had no problem filing those 'free' moments catching up on all the other stuff that I need to do (lesson plans, grading, writing quizzes and tests, searching for supplies, etc). Creole lessons are after school on Tuesday. We have chapel for an hour on Wednesday morning. I meet with my discipleship girls during lunch on Wednesday. I have a small group that meets on Wednesday afternoons for SAT math tutoring. I usually have other random kids drop by after school for homework help. We have dinner and bible study on Wednesday nights at our campus chaplain's house. Staff meetings at 7:15 on Thursday mornings and devotionals again on Friday. There seems to be plenty of other non-school things that also keep me busy. We usually walk to the store twice a week. We've had at least one night every week (in addition to Wednesday's bible study) that we either have people over for dinner or we're guests at someone else's table. We walk to school every day. Tuesday is laundry day. At least 3 days a week, we are (not so patiently) watching and waiting on EDH to kick on so we can fill our water tanks. Soon we'll be starting English lessons on Sunday at the church in Cite Soleil and another English class with some of the ladies in our neighborhood. Life is busy!!  :D




No comments:

Post a Comment